Timeline of Events Shaping Lewis County, WV (1763-1840)

by Joy Stalnaker

1763 – John & Samuel PRINGLE live in tree at Turkey Run, Upshur Co, for 3 years

1769 – John HACKER settles on Hacker’s Creek & first white child, William HACKER, born

1773/1774 – First fort at today’s Jane Lew built

ca 1775 – John HACKER establishes one of first grist mills in area on Hacker’s Creek

1776-1783 – American Revolution

1776 – Monongalia County formed

1777 – Year of the Bloody Sevens – massacres along the western frontier.  John HACKER and others served with Capt. James BOOTH defending the frontier.

1778 – Indian attacks.  Elizabeth HACKERFREEMAN, Thomas HUGHES, Issac WASHBURN, and numerous others were killed during this year in separate attacks.

1779-1780 – Fort abandoned with settlers going to Nutter’s Fort & Bushes Fort.  Fort

        burned in one of these years.

1790 – Beech Fort,  later called West’s Fort, built where is now Jane Lew Fire


1790 - George Adam BUSH first settler at present day Freemansburg

1780-1790 – John SLEETH Trading Post

1784 – Harrison County formed.  First county court held at Pringle Tree community.

1784 – Methodism came to America from England.

1787 – Shawnee-SCHOOLCRAFT raid on Hacker’s Creek Settlement

1788 - New York City is chosen as temporary seat of US Government

        US Constitution ratified.

1789 - George WASHINGTON is first president; John ADAMS is first vice president.

        Thanksgiving established.

1790 – Circuit riders from Methodist Church began visiting the county.

1790 - First Census of US

1791 - Bill of Rights added to Constitution

1792 – WAGGONER Family tragedy; Henry McWHORTER built mill at today’s Jane Lew

1793 - Eli WHITNEY patented cotton gin.

1794 – COZAD children captured by Indians – last raid in the county.

1795 – Greenville Treaty brought peace with Indians in the West

1795 – Families began to leave Lewis County and head west

1797 - John HARDMAN was first settler on Little Skin Creek (mouth of Curtis Run)

        and operated a mill that served the area.

        Richard JOHNSON followed shortly and was first settler on Big Skin Creek.

1800 - George COLLINS & Daniel TURVEY were first settlers in Collins Settlement

        on lands patented to Col. George JACKSON.

1800 - School being taught by Henry McWHORTER and others at old West's Fort.

1801 – Edward JACKSON’s  grist Mill built on West Fork - sawmill added soon after

1803 - Louisiana Purchase

1804-1806 - Lewis and Clark Expedition to Pacific Ocean

1804 – Broad Run Baptist Church established

1808 - Widespread economic decline throughout U.S.

1808 - Thomas McCARTNEY built home near mouth of Bennett Run for William &

        Rebecca McCALLYBENNETT

1809? - Jackson's Mill Post Office

1810 - George BUSH, then Henry CURTIS, operated mill near Gaston

1810 – Clarksburg had 31 families living there

1812 -  Star Spangled Banner written; War of 1812

1813 - Andrew "Old Ireland" WILSON believed to have settled near Ireland

1816 – Dec 18 - measure forming Lewis County passed

1817 – Preston and then Fleshersville established

1818 – Dams on Little Kanawha and the West Fork proposed.

1818 - Henry HARDMAN teaching in "Old Field" School near Vandalia.

1819 – Fleshersville became Weston

1819 - Earliest major economic depression in the U.S.

1819 – Harmony Methodist Church built.

1819 - Alabama is 22nd state admitted to Union

1820 – First bridge in county at Maxwell’s Run

1820 – Road to saltworks in today’s Braxton County surveyed

1821 - Post office established in Collins Settlement, the third p.o. in the county.

1822 – Bailey House opened in Weston

1823 – Staunton and Parkersburg Turnpike proposed.  First funds the next year.

1824 - Thomas Jonathan JACKSON born in nearby Clarksburg

1825 - Bush's grist and saw mill established; eventually became town of Roanoke

1827 – Methodist Church split.

1828 – Survey for S&P Turnpike completed.

1828 - Post office established at Freemansburg.  Alexander K. SLEETH first postmaster.

1830 – Peter SWISHER killed by falling tree.  Berlin Methodist church established

1831-1838 - Hackersville post office.

1832 – Minter BAILEY granted license to keep an ordinary at Bailey House

1833 - 33 common schools in county supported by Virginia Literary Fund

1834 - Mt. Gilead/Georgetown Methodist Church established on land donated by

        John HELMICK

1835 - William BENNETT started mill at Walkersville

1836 – Dams on Little Kanawha and West Fork proposed again.

1836 – Construction begun on Weston & Gauley Bridge Turnpike; Weston and

 Charleston Turnpike layed out.

1836 - New school built on Skin Creek.  Teachers included PETERSON, HARDMAN and


1837 - Second major economic depression in America

1837 - Samuel F.B. MORSE invents telegraph

1839 - Jane Lew Post Office

1840 - Only two settlements were made in the Courthouse District before this date.

1841 – Portions of  Staunton & Parkersburg Turnpike opened.

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software